eSociety: Sociology of the Electronic Age
Unit code: HASM201
|Credit points||12.5 Credit Points|
|Contact hours||3 Hours per Week|
Aims and objectives
- To develop understanding of the major effects of electronic technologies on social institutions from an international perspective.
- To develop understanding of the main sociological theories used to explain the development of electronic technologies and their social implications
Generic skills outcomes
- Ability to use electronic techniques for accessing and communicating information.
- Ability to evaluate information available through electronic means.
- Understanding of quantitative and qualitative research techniques.
Reading materialsCastells, M, The Internet Galaxy, OUP, Oxford, 2002.
Wellman, B & Haythornthwaite, C, The Internet in Everyday Life, Blackwell, Malden, MA, 2002.