Resource Planning and Management
Unit code: HES6174
|Credit points||12.5 Credit Points|
|Contact hours||36 hours lectures, 12 hours tutorials & computer labs|
UG: 250 credit points
Aims and objectives
This unit covers specific knowledge areas regarding planning and management of resources in engineering industries, especially in project-based settings.
Upon learning, the students shall be able to:
- Understand related concepts and functions of planning and managing resources in project scenarios
- apply relevant principles and theories for planning and managing resources
- demonstrate a functional knowledge of using appropriate tools and techniques for resource planning and management
- formulate and/ or specify suitable strategies, methods and tools/ techniques for resource management in the project-based engineering industries
Generic skills outcomes
On successful completion of this unit, students will have:
- A fundamental understanding of resource planning concepts and resource management principles.
- Basic abilities to apply, analyse and participate in planning and resource management responsibilities
- Advanced knowledge regarding specific modern tools, techniques and best practices for resource planning and management.
This unit covers essential concepts and techniques for planning and management of resources in project-based engineering industries.
Topics include: planning concepts; planning/ programming techniques; estimating, allocation and leveling of resources; constrained resource scheduling; introduction location based management in projects; resource planning and management in linear projects; multi-project resource management; metrics based monitoring and control; material resources planning and inventory control; introduction to computer applications for resource planning and management.