Unit code: HIT9010
|Credit points||12.5 Credit Points|
|Contact hours||24 Hours|
This unit should be taken as a corequisite to research units.
A unit of study in the
Aims and objectives
By the end of this unit of study students should be able to:
- Identify the basic principles of academic research and the fundamentals concepts of research.
- Interpret and critically evaluate previously published research in a formal literature review.
- Describe the characteristic features of common research methods and debate their relative merits.
- Identify a research question (or project problem/objective) and justify the selection of an appropriate and ethically managed research method.
- Produce a written research/project proposal/report/paper and effectively present information in an oral presentation.
Generic skills outcomes
The generic attributes which relate to this unit help to produce students who:
- Are capable in their chosen professional, vocational or study areas.
- Operate effectively in work and community situations.
- Are adaptable and manage change.
- Ability to apply knowledge of basic science and engineering fundamentals.
- In-depth technical competence in at least one engineering discipline.
- Ability to understand problem identification, formulation and solution.
- Ability to utilise a systems approach to design and operational performance
- Defining research.
- Specifying roles of student and supervisor.
- Developing a research/project question/problem/objective.
- Presentation techniques.
- Reviewing the literature.
- Planning research/project design.
- Writing a research/project proposal.
- Qualitative and quantitative research methodologies.
- Writing a research paper and technical report with corresponding writing skills.