Unit code: HES6791
|Credit points||12.5 Credit Points|
|Contact hours||48 hours|
UG: 250 CP
Aims and objectives
1. a general understanding of the principles of management;
This unit contains three Major Assessment Components:
Group assignment – to be conducted during semester (worth 50%),
Examination – at the end of semester to be undertaken in the student’s own time conducted within 2 weeks of last lecture (worth 45%),
A class presentation of the student’s choosing (worth 5%).
Generic skills outcomes
- Ability to apply knowledge of basic science and engineering fundamentals.
- Ability to communicate effectively, not only with engineers but also with the community at large.
- In-depth technical competence in at least one engineering discipline.
- Ability to understand problem identification, formulation and solution.
- Ability to utilise a systems approach to design and operational performance.
- Ability to function effectively as an individual in a project team, have the capacity to be a leader or manager as well as an effective team member.
- Understanding of the social, cultural, global and environmental responsibilities of the professional engineer, and the need for sustainable development.
- Understanding of the principles of sustainable design and development.
- Understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities and have a commitment to uphold these responsibilities.
- Expectation of the need to undertake lifelong learning, and capacity to do so.
2. Leadership and leadership qualities, differences between management
3. Different management/leadership environments including, competitive
4. Project control mechanisms including, performance standards, developing
5. Project Management phases including definition phase, planning phase