Unit code: HES6175D
|Credit points||12.5 Credit Points|
|Contact hours||Equivalent to 36 hrs contact time or 150 hrs total study time|
UG: Not offered
Aims and objectives
Generic skills outcomes
- Ability to apply knowledge of basic science and engineering fundamentals.
- Ability to communicate effectively, not only with engineers but also with the community at large.
- In-depth technical competence in at least one engineering discipline.
- Ability to understand problem identification, formulation and solution.
- Ability to utilise a systems approach to design and operational performance.
- Ability to function effectively as an individual in a project team, have the capacity to be a leader or manager as well as an effective team member.
- Understanding of the social, cultural, global and environmental responsibilities of the professional engineer, and the need for sustainable development. Understanding of the principles of sustainable design and development.
- Understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities and have a commitment to uphold these responsibilities.
- Expectation of the need to undertake lifelong learning, and capacity to do so
Projects & project life cycles, Project delivery systems & commercial options, Introduction to engineering economics, interest / DCF / cash flows / escalation, Measurement of quantities (Australian Standard AS 1181), Work planning & the development of crews and production rates, Work scheduling (bar charts / CPM / PERT), Cost estimation (order of magnitude / preliminary / definitive / detailed), Commercial aspects of Standard Conditions of Contract (AS 2124 and AS 4000 series), Risk Analysis AS / NZS 4360, Time & cost control during project execution and ongoing activities.