Philosophy of Culture
Unit code: HAH209-HAH309
|Credit points||12.5 Credit Points|
|Contact hours||3 Hours per Week|
Aims and objectivesThe aim of this unit of study is to provide students with the historical and philosophical background to understand current research in the study of culture, to examine the relationships between the different dimensions of culture revealed by different disciplines and research programs, to explore the practical implications of research on culture, and to consider the most promising lines of future research.
Generic skills outcomes
- Analysis and interpretation of primary sources (the original documents, written works, and other sources that historians study) in the light of secondary sources (works about the primary sources or the circumstances relating to them.
- Weighing evidence and evaluating conflicting arguments, interpretations and theories.
- Fundamental skills identifying underlying assumptions of, and connections between, ideas and events studied.
- Philosophical evaluation of ideas underlying social and intellectual movements.
- Constructing clear, coherent, logically structured arguments, using relevant evidence and analysis in support of conclusions and interpretations.