Making News and Making Policy: The Media and Politics
Unit code: HAPM226/HAPM326
|Credit points||12.5 Credit Points|
|Contact hours||3 Hours per Week|
Aims and objectives
After completing this unit of study students should have developed an understanding of:
- The role of the mass media in advanced industrial societies;
- How the media reports national and international politics;
- How contempory political elites operate in media environments;
- The debate about the impact of the media on mass political attitudes.
Students should also have developed their skills in research and communication.
AssessmentStage 2 - Tests, Class presentation, 2500 word essay. Stage 3 - Tests, Class presention, 3000 word research report.
Generic skills outcomes
Students will develop their ability to:
- Undertake independent research.
- Evaluate contrasting views on controversial issues.
- Provide full, accurate and verifiable documentation of their claims.
- Communicate ideas clearly and effectively.
- Undertake advocacy in relation to both government and the mass media.