Issues in the Social Sciences
Unit code: HAF445
|Credit points||12.5 Credit Points|
|Contact hours||24 hours|
BA or BSocSci
Must be enrolled in BA (Hons) Social Science or BA(Hons) Industry and Community Studies.
Aims and objectives
The aim of this unit is to develop an advanced understanding of issues relevant to the social sciences.
Generic skills outcomes
Students are expected to develop a number of graduate attributes, resulting in graduates who:
- Are capable in their chosen professional areas.
- Operate effectively in work & community situations.
- Are adaptable & manage change.
- Are aware of environments.
This unit of study looks at contemporary debates in the social sciences. It has four three-week modules. Each module focuses on one contemporary controversy, exploring the role of the social sciences. Students will spend three weeks focusing on each theme and discussing how this theme informs research on various topics in sociology, politics, media, history or cultural studies, including their own chosen thesis topic. Issues for HAF445 may include:
- Being human (genetics and technology)
- Understanding technological revolutions
- Democracy and imperfect politics
- The use and abuse of community
- Rights, states and security