Capstone Project: Sustainable Design
Unit code: HDSD673
|Credit points||12.5 Credit Points|
|Contact hours||36 hours per semester|
This is an elective unit of study in the Specialisation titled Sustainable Design, offered within the Master of Design (Design Anthropology) (DMDA30), Master of Design (Interior Design) (DMINTD60) and Master of Design (Industrial Design) (DMID60) programs.
NOTE: This unit will be offered subject to student enrolment numbers.
Aims and objectives
The aim of this unit is to provide students the opportunity to engage in independent individual and/or group design projects as the culminating demonstration of on their discipline and specialization knowledge.
On successful completion of this unit the student should be able to:
* Plan a research-based design project that utilizes the theories and methods of strategic cross-cultural or multicultural brand identity * Select appropriate methods to gather evidence supporting their design decisions
* Articulate the studio project outcomes and themes through a well-developed and well-structured design solution.
Teaching methodsTeaching is conducted in a student-centred studio environment, through lectures, group discussions, site visits, demonstrations and critiques. Students present their work to the group at the end of each project.
AssessmentWeekly Concept Blog 25%
Midterm Project Review 25%
Final Project, Presentation, and Documentation 50%
Generic skills outcomesGiven the global market into which design students enter, this capstone project unit produces students with the following Graduate Attributes:
· Adaptable and able to manage change
· Aware of local and international environments in which they will be contributing (e.g. socio-cultural, economic, natural)
· Entrepreneurial in contributing to innovation and development within their business, workplace or community
This capstone project unit provides students with the following Key Generic Skills:
· Analysis skills
· Problem solving skills
· Ability to tackle unfamiliar problems
· Ability to work independently