Elite Athletes at Swinburne
Swinburne is proud to be a member of the Elite Athlete Friendly University (EAFU) network.
As an Elite Athlete Friendly University, Swinburne offers eligible students flexible study options to support you balance sporting and academic commitment.
Defining elite athletes
Swinburne identifies elite student athletes as outlined by the Athlete Career and Education (ACE) program.
This includes individuals who are recognised as elite athletes by one of the following groups:
- Australian Institute of Sport
- State Institutes or Academies of Sport
- AFL Players’ Association
- Australian Cricketers’ Association
- Rugby Union Players’ Association
- Rugby League Professionals’ Association
- Australian Professional Footballers’ Association
- National senior squad members from ACE supported sports
Support for elite athletes
We make every effort to incorporate the needs of elite student athletes, as outlined by the EAFU program.
Assessment related needs
- Ability to negotiate assessment deadlines based on sporting related travel commitments
- Ability to sit exams externally under exam conditions, within the athlete’s environment (e.g. while travelling, in their hotel, etc.)
- The minimum attendance at lectures, tutorials or practicals waived where the athlete is unavailable due to sporting commitments
- Ability to tailor academic study load to integrate with sporting commitments
- Ability to negotiate lecture, tutorial and practical timetables to accommodate sporting commitments
- Ability to extend minimum time to complete course due to periods of decreased study load
- Ability to take several leaves of absence where required due to increased sporting commitments (e.g. Olympic Games year)
- Ability to complete cross institutional study options with interstate universities
- Provision of summer study alternatives and/or ability to swap between distance education mode and on campus mode, depending on sporting commitments
- Recognition of credit achieved at interstate universities
- Access to distance education materials and/or class notes for missed lectures, tutorials or practicals
For more details about studying at Swinburne as an elite student athlete, please email email@example.com
More informationThe EAFU network is a service of the Athlete Career and Education (ACE) program, which is managed by the Australian Sports Commission and jointly funded by the Australian and state and territory governments.
ACE assists elite athletes to achieve sport and life goals through integrating learning, work and sports performance.
Visit the Australian Sports Commission website