Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) (Honours)
- This information is for local students.
- View course information for international students.
Am I a You are a local student if:
you are an Australian citizen, or
you are a New Zealand citizen (excluding TAFE courses), or
you are an Australian permanent resident.
You are an international student if:
you are not an Australian citizen, and
you are not a New Zealand citizen (excluding TAFE courses), and
you are not an Australian permanent resident.local or an international student?
|Duration||1 year full-time|
|Campus and intakes|
For information about Swinburne's fees visit the Fees website.
Course in detail
- H1 (First class honours) - if their overall grade is 80% or above
- H2A - if their overall grade is 70 to 79%
- H2B - if their overall grade is 60 to 69%
- H3 - if their overall grade is 50 to 59%
- N - if their overall grade is below 50%
Units of study
HDG407 Social Patterns Research
HDG408 Social Patterns Studio
HDG418 Information Design OR for Design Factory SDF401 Swinburne Design Factory Project
HDCOM422 Type and Publication
HDG409 New Technologies Research
HDG410 New Technologies Studio
HDCOM411 Identity Design
HDG428 Narrative Structures OR Design Factory SDF402 Swinburne Design Factory Development Project
Aims and objectives
- Acquire a systematic and coherent body of knowledge, the underlying principles and concepts, and the associated communication and problem-solving skills
- Develop academic skills and attributes necessary to undertake design research, comprehend and evaluate new information, concepts and evidence from a range of sources
- Develop the ability to review, consolidate, extend and apply the knowledge and techniques learnt, including in a professional context
- Gain a foundation for self-directed and life-long learning
- Gain interpersonal and teamwork skills appropriate to employment and/or further study
- Are entrepreneurial in contributing to innovation and development within their business, workplace, or community
- Are capable in their chosen professional, vocational or study areas
- Operate effectively in work and community situations
- Are adaptable and manage change
- Are aware of environments in which they will be contributing
Student testimonial - Sophie Neilsen
Bachelor of Design (Communication Design)(Honours)
I chose Swinburne after attending the open day; it felt like the best fit for me. The subjects offered, the lecturers I spoke to and also the university’s reputation in terms of design - these were all factors in my decision. I really enjoy the aspect of personal, self-driven learning that is expected at tertiary level education. The lecturers are always available and a wealth of knowledge but it is up to the student as to how far they decide to take the brief.
I love learning new tricks, whether they are from a lecturer or the person sitting next to you in class, the sharing of knowledge is great. Of course there is nothing better than getting something back from the printers and it looks exactly the way you’d imagined.
I have been invited to do an internship at Aalto University in Helsinki. An amazing opportunity, I can’t wait. I’ll spend two months working at The Design Factory, collaborating with other designers, engineers and business students.